Indice del forum AnsaHT.com

FAQFAQ   CercaCerca   Lista utentiLista utenti   GruppiGruppi   RegistratiRegistrati 
 ProfiloProfilo   Messaggi privatiMessaggi privati   Log inLog in 

Places and Legends __ Luoghi e Leggende
Vai a Precedente  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Successivo

Nuovo argomento   Rispondi    Indice del forum -> vorrei svegliarmi un giorno e ritrovare tutte le cose in cui credevo
Precedente :: Successivo  
Autore Messaggio
Thomas Mayer

MessaggioInviato: Sab Ott 03, 2009 9:13 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

Hi!

Interesting discussion about the WE416! I have been thinking about using this tube for a phonostage for a while. I'd be delighted to team up with Twogoodears and implement such a project.

When I started building phono preamplifiers I also concentrated a lot on high transconductance tubes because many people claimed they are superior in noise behaviour.

I started out using the EC8020 and built various phono pres with it. Single ended as well as fully differential. All of them using Tango LCR EQ.

Later I discovered the very peculiar 6HS5, which has been discussed on this forum a lot. With it's spectacular mu of 300 and similar transconductance as the EC8020 it seemed perfect for phono.

A first prototype, all transformer coupled and also with Tango LCR EQ confirmed this. A friend of mine bought this first prototype and is still using it happily. It sounded quite similar as the EC8020 preamplifiers. I also implemented a fully differential version with the 6HS5.

Some experiments with the operating points showed that the 6HS5 runs better at higher voltages, while the plate current seems to have very little influence on the sound. I experimented with the 6HS5 up to 2kV B+, and down to 3- 5mA plate current.

The remarkable similarity in sound between the 6HS5 and EC8020 phono preamplifiers brought up the question if this is due to their similar transconductance, or due to the similar circuit architecture, all transfomercoupled and LCR EQed.

So I had to try such a phonostage with directly heated tubes. I started with the 40 which still has a usable mu of 30, but a plate resistance which makes it impossible to transformer couple it. Some experiments with LC coupling proved this tube to be very difficult. The miller capacitance of the following stage loads it already such to cause a roll of starting around 10kHz.

So I went with the UX 201A. Due to the low mu I had to use 4 stages in the phono. I needed several attempts to get a prototype which is usable and does not break up in oscillation due to acoustical feedback and the microphony of the tube. At the ETF2003 I was able to demonstrate a working prototype. It still had horrible microphony, but a very sweet and musical sound. Interestingly the noise performance was quite acceptable and remarkable for such a low transconductance tube.

The UX201 is quite euphonic. So I continued with the very neutral 801A. I now have a 801A phonostage with quite acceptable microphonics. It is 4 stage. LCR EQ after the second stage. All transformercoupled. It is my favorite phonostage right now. It has all the positive aspect of the EC8020 versions, transparency, ultimate resolution. But adds the direct heated magic at somewhat worse noise performance and of cause some issues with microphony. However a directly heated phono stage is quite big and needs extrodinary clean DC filament supplies.

So I think the circuit and EQ have a much more influence than the transconductance of the tube.

As for the 416, it has been mentioned that it has similar values as the 6HS5. I would adapt one of my 6HS5 circuit for this tube. The much lower plate voltage would ease things quite a bit.

Best regards

Thomas
Profilo Invia messaggio privato
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Ven Nov 13, 2009 12:21 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

The Western Electric Golden triode pictured during occult experimentations in the audio-esotericists den...

The first picture represents the golden triode scarfed between two spring-loaded blocks of graphite and hanging off aluminum crossbars; the grid dissipater made of graphite as well is, whilst the batteries underneath are used to supply the filament.
This is used to carry out tests on temperature, microphonicity, etc.

Il triodo d’oro Western Electric fotografato durante occulte sperimentazioni negli antri degli esoteristi audio...

La prima foto ritrae il triodo d’oro col corpo immorsato fra due blocchi di graphite caricati a molla e appeso a traverse d’alluminio; anche il dissipatore di griglia è in graphite, mentre le batterie sottostanti sono per l’alimentazione del filamento.
Il tutto viene utilizzato per condurre test sulla temperatura, microfonicità, ecc.

The second image is very ‘esoteric’ and gives an idea of the experimental context, in this instance for the re-arrangement of the amplifier Legend 300B by the Maison de l’Audiophile. The transformers are precisely those marketed at the time by the French magazine. They are the Partridge TK4519 stripped of the metallic container; the valves are 300B in mesh plate version, which in some occasions are alternated to the vintage 300B Western Electric.

La seconda immagine è molto ‘eso’ e rende misura del contesto sperimentale, in questo caso riguardante il riarrangiamento dell’amplificatore Legend 300B della Maison de L’Audiophile.
I trasformatori sono proprio quelli commercializzati a suo tempo dalla rivista francese, si tratta dei Partridge TK4519, privati del contenitore metallico, e le valvole sono delle 300B in versione mesh plate, che in certe occasioni vengono alternate alle 300B Western Electric d’epoca.

The two ‘sunflowers’ replaced the Western Electric 310A valves, originally used as a driver; the experiment gave excellent results from all points of view.

This particular experience taught us a lot; furthermore, I am sure that it can lead to various concrete results.

I due ‘girasoli’ hanno preso il posto delle valvole 310A Western Electric, adottate in origine come driver e l’esperimento ha dato risultati entusiasmanti sotto tutti i punti di vista.

Questa particolare esperienza, oltre ad aver insegnato molto, sono convinto possa approdare a concretezze di vario genere.

The picture doesn’t render as much as I would have liked, but in actual fact the triode 416 emits more light than the typical signal valves (6SN7, ECC83, etc.), including the 310A mentioned before.

In the last image we can appreciate the simplicity of the assembling.
Besides the connections through the conductors, the only bond to the frame is through the anodic terminal, which is inserted in a Teflon insulated tulip contact.
The grid heat-sink is a graphite disc.

La foto non rende per quanto avrei voluto, ma in effetti il triodo 416 emette più luce delle tipiche valvole di segnale (6SN7, ECC83, ecc), compresa la 310A citata prima.

Nell’ultima immagine si può apprezzare la semplicità del montaggio.
Oltre ai collegamenti per mezzo dei conduttori, l’unico vincolo al telaio avviene tramite il terminale anodico, che è infilato in un contatto a tulipano isolato in teflon.
Il dissipatore di griglia è costituito da un disco di graphite.

http://ansaht.com

EDIT:
Il parecchio tempo intercorso tra l’esperienza diretta e la scrittura dei didascalici commenti di supporto alle immagini, è causa di una dimenticanza, che vado a colmare con la seguente precisazione.
Il prototipo da me ascoltato non utilizzava in uscita il trasformatore Partridge TK4519, di fatto scollegato, bensì il parallel feed composto dall’accoppiata MagneQuest EXO-03 + TFA-2004 in versione all nickel… entrambi collocati in posizione non visibile (e per questo motivo di dimenticanza).

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 7:53 pm, modificato 1 volta
Profilo Invia messaggio privato Invia e-mail HomePage
Thomas Mayer

MessaggioInviato: Sab Nov 14, 2009 12:35 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

Hello!

Wow, impressive work and research around that tube! Congratulations!

I need to work with that tube some time soon!

Best regards

Thomas
Profilo Invia messaggio privato
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Dom Nov 15, 2009 3:51 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

Many thanks for the compliments, Thomas.

The 416 triode is remarkable for many reasons, when you will play with it I am sure that it will be able to charm you.Very Happy

Perhaps your intention is to replace the valves 6HS5 in this preamp?

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 7:54 pm, modificato 1 volta
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Sab Nov 21, 2009 3:28 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

The revealing tests on the subject of interfacing carried out so far allow to recap the main aspects and to define the planning needs with regards to the input of the phono preamplifier.

- Part 1 –

• Among the most desirable characteristics in the first active stage of a phono preamplifier, we find high transconductance and high gain. With triodes the high gain involves high input capacity by the Miller effect and this can create interfacing problems; as far as the use of single triodes is concerned, in no instance the capacity value becomes critical in direct connection with the MC cartridges. This is also true for the Western Electric golden triode 416 and we must stress that, thanks to its exclusive technical characteristics, it represents the best chance of coupling an MC needle to a triode working in classical configuration without giving in to noise.

• The situation changes when we interpose a step-up transformer between MC cartridge and first active stage of the preamplifier; the latter, as well as being sensitive to the input capacity, reflects its effects on the cartridge increased by the transformation ratio, making interfacing critical.

• As a consequence...either we solve the problems of interfacing related to the use of the step-up transformer in the planning stage...or we decide to avoid using it choosing alternative solutions.

• Avoiding the use of the step-up transformer leads to consequences of other nature, therefore not only it represents a solving alternative, but it usually deters from using triodes in favor of hybrid solutions. Furthermore, we also need to consider that the best MC cartridges have air wound coils with such electrical characteristics that it is impossible to avoid the use of a step-up transformer. It is obvious that a phono preamplifier of absolute formulation not only can manage high rank situations, but it must do so better than any other device, standing out especially when the transformers to be coupled have complex parameters, such as the Western Electric 681 or those with transformation ratio 1 : 100.

• In order to solve the interfacing problems concerning the use of the step-up transformer, first of all it is necessary to drastically reduce the input capacity of the first active stage, preferably limiting it within values of 50pF. Only this way it will be easy to effectively change the load on the transformer and cartridge without exacerbating already critical situations of frequency extension and relevant phase rotations. This need is confirmed by the evaluations made in the previous messages, which have unequivocally highlighted that it is not enough to go from a high gain triode, such as the 416C, to lower gain triodes, such as the 437A and E813CC (considered on page 7 of the thread) in order to appropriately reduce the problems with input capacity. Such operation can lead to a good compromise, with very respectable musical results, but it is not a solution in absolute terms, because it is disadvantageous in proportions (which consist of loss of gain in relation to the reduction of capacity) and it doesn’t eliminate the problem.

Le rivelatrici indagini in tema d’interfacciamento fin qui svolte, permettono ora di riepilogare per punti gli aspetti salienti e definire le esigenze progettuali relative all’ingresso del preamplificatore phono.

- Parte 1 -

• Tra le caratteristiche maggiormente auspicabili nel primo stadio attivo di un preamplificatore phono, vi sono l’alta transconduttanza e l’alto guadagno. Con i triodi l’alto guadagno comporta alta capacità d’ingresso per effetto Miller e questo può creare problemi d’interfacciamento, ma per quanto riguarda l’utilizzo di singoli triodi in nessun caso il valore di capacità diventa critico nel collegamento diretto con le testine MC. Questo vale anche per il triodo d’oro 416 Western Electric e va ribadito che, grazie alle sue esclusive caratteristiche tecniche, costituisce la migliore possibilità di accoppiare una testina MC ad un triodo operante in configurazione classica, senza soccombere al rumore.

• La situazione cambia quando tra testina MC e primo stadio attivo del preamplificatore si interpone un trasformatore stepup, in quanto questi, oltre ad essere di per sé sensibile alla capacità d’ingresso, ne riflette gli effetti alla testina maggiorati dal rapporto di trasformazione, rendendo critico l’interfacciamento.

• Ne consegue che… o si risolvono progettualmente le problematiche d’interfacciamento relative all’uso del trasformatore stepup… o si decide di evitarne l’utilizzo scegliendo altre soluzioni.

• Evitare l’uso del trasformatore stepup conduce a conseguenze d’altra natura, per cui non solo non rappresenta un’alternativa risolutiva, ma solitamente allontana dall’utilizzo dei triodi in favore di soluzioni ibride. Inoltre occorre considerare che le migliori testine MC hanno bobine avvolte in aria, con caratteristiche elettriche tali da rendere pressochè inevitabile l’utilizzo del trasformatore stepup. Va da sé che un preamplificatore phono di concezione assoluta non solo non può esimersi dal gestire situazioni di così alto rango, ma deve farlo meglio di qualsiasi altro apparecchio, distinguendosi soprattutto quando i trasformatori da accogliere hanno parametri complessi, come il 681 Western Electric o quelli con rapporto di trasformazione 1 : 100.

• Per risolvere i problemi d’interfacciamento riguardanti l’utilizzo del trasformatore stepup, è anzitutto indispensabile ridurre drasticamente la capacità d’ingresso del primo stadio attivo, limitandola preferibilmente a valori non oltre i 50pF. Solo in questo modo sarà poi agevole variare con efficacia il carico visto dal trasformatore e dalla testina, senza accentuare situazioni già critiche di estensione in frequenza e relative rotazioni di fase. A confermare tale esigenza concorrono le valutazioni fatte nei messaggi precedenti, che hanno inequivocabilmente evidenziato come non basti passare da un triodo ad alto guadagno, come il 416C, a triodi con guadagno minore, come il 437A e l’ E813CC (considerato a pagina 7 del thread), per ridurre adeguatamente i problemi connessi alla capacità d’ingresso. Un’operazione del genere può portare ad un buon compromesso, con risultati musicali anche di gran classe, ma non costituisce una soluzione all’altezza di pretese assolute, perché risulta svantaggiosa nelle proporzioni (consistente perdita di guadagno, in rapporto alla riduzione di capacità) e non estingue il problema.

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 7:55 pm, modificato 1 volta
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Mar Nov 24, 2009 12:26 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

On pages 8 and 10 of the thread we can see the representation of some possibilities for the connection and cooling of grid terminal and anode of the Western Electric 416 valve...now we need to complete it with cathode and filament connections.

A pagina 8 e 10 del thread sono illustrate alcune possibilità di collegamento e raffreddamento dei terminali di griglia e anodo della valvola 416 Western Electric… ora per completare è la volta delle connessioni di catodo e filamento.

A further testimony of the agreement between the Western Electric 416 valve and phonographic needles is the particular of the connectors suitable for cathode and filament terminals, which can be commonly used for the connection pins of the cartridges... like those represented in the previous image.
The connectors in question guarantee a wide and tenacious contact area; therefore they are ideal for cathode connection and suitable for the generous filament current.

It’s best to use very fine cable for every connection; it can be Litz cable for cathode, grid and anode, whilst for the filament, considering the current involved, it is best to use cables with soft silicon case and internal conductor with strands made of very fine threads.

Come ulteriore testimonianza del feeling che intercorre tra la valvola 416 Western Electric e le testine phonografiche, si aggiunge il particolare riguardante i connettori adatti ai terminali di catodo e filamento, che possono essere gli stessi comunemente utilizzati per i pin di collegamento delle testine… come quelli in argento illustrati nell’immagine precedente.
I connettori in questione garantiscono una superfice di contatto molto ampia e tenace, risultando quindi perfetti per il collegamento di catodo e adeguati alla generosa corrente di filamento.

Per tutti i collegamenti conviene usare del cavetto molto fine, che può essere di tipo Litz per catodo, griglia ed anodo, mentre per il filamento, considerando la corrente in gioco, conviene adottare del cavetto in morbida guaina al silicone e conduttore interno con trefoli costituiti da innumerevoli fili sottilissimi.

To replace grid-stop resistances it is best to use ferrite beads, in particular the mini toroids pictured in the previous image and their use can be extended to the other connections of the valve.
The most suitable ferrite proved to be the one with a yellow-whitish mixture, whilst the number of coils depends on the need. In the least critical instances a few silver coil insulated by Teflon (below left in the picture) can be enough, or even some coil directly wound with Litz thread used in cabling. In difficult instances, for example radio interferences that cannot be eliminated, we can use inductors, such as 141uH and ferrite Telefunkens, shielded by mu metal and with central pin.

In sostituzione delle resistenze grid-stop sono da preferirsi le perline in ferrite, in particolare i mini toroidi illustrati nell’immagine precedente, e il loro utilizzo può essere esteso anche alle altre connessioni della valvola.
La ferrite con impasto più adatto è risultata essere quella contraddistinta dal colore giallo-bianco, mentre il numero di spire dipende dalle esigenze. Nei casi meno critici possono bastare poche spire in argento isolate in teflon (in basso a sinistra nell’immagine), oppure qualche spira avvolta direttamente col filo Litz utilizzato nel cablaggio. Nei casi perniciosi, per esempio intromissioni radio ineliminabili, si può ricorrere agli induttori, come quelli da 141uH e i Telefunken in ferrite, schermati in mu metal e con presa centrale.

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 7:57 pm, modificato 1 volta
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Ven Nov 27, 2009 4:50 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

The revealing tests on the subject of interfacing carried out so far allow to recap the main aspects and to define the planning needs with regards to the input of the phono preamplifier.

- Part 2 -

As a consequence of what has been expressed in Part 1, it becomes easy to list the needs related to the first active stage of a phono preamplifier dedicated to absolute quality.

• As we have already said: ‘Among the most desirable characteristics in the first active stage of a phono preamplifier, we find high transconductance and high gain’. They are technical characteristics notoriously necessary for limiting the background noise and, I might add, contextually useful to preserve speed and articulation in the reproduction of musical signals. Therefore they are useful to preserve the magic called... sense of rhythm.

• The usage of high gain and transconductance devices makes the research of couples able to swing in a dynamically identical manner critical. If we are using push-pull circuits, the number of necessary identical devices doubles and the same happens for the difficulties of selection. But further and harder problems are associated to the push-pull topology and to the matching transformer. The same operative setting that in the push-pull system reduces even distortion can introduce incongruence on the signal as a consequence of the dynamic behavior, which is not identical in the two active devices. Furthermore, when the push-pull circuit is loaded through an inductor or transformer, incongruence is inevitably created on the signal due to the cycle of hysteresis and a further risk is the start of permanent residual magnetization with related consequences. The problems just described are quite irrelevant in a push-pull amplifier because of the proportions compared to the signal to deal with, but in a phono preamp even silly issues become important, and we need to keep this in mind. Certainly this is kept in mind in push-pull phono preamplifiers of a certain caliber, especially when we are dealing with highly skilled craftsmanship objects, such as Audio Tekne by Imai, where the selection of valves is certainly of the highest level. But it is not granted that the consumption of the valves occurs in an identical manner; besides, the matters connected to the transformers remain, therefore certain perplexities persist and I think that this is a crucial point.
Only knowing that in phono preamplifiers the push-pull topology exposes the signal to possible modification of a non-invariant kind originates such a prejudice that it is incompatible with a planning philosophy aimed at the ideal solution, also because in any case it will be more difficult to obtain and keep an identical dynamic behavior from the two channels.
The single-ended, on the contrary, operates with coherent and invariant setting; therefore it has the essential characteristics for the conservation of the original genetic patrimony, which means that it is the topology with the highest degree of similarity in the treatment of the musical signal.
Furthermore, in the phono preamplifiers the swing of the signal to deal with is so small that even the distortion of a single-ended stage is notoriously benign as well as extremely reduced, to the point that it is appropriate to state... if we don’t use single-ended topology in a phono preamp, then it should never be used.

• Summarizing... in the first stage it is necessary to have high gain, high transconductance, the topology must be single-ended without any counter reaction and the input capacity must not be beyond 50pF.
The last point excludes the possibility of using JFETs, whilst we have seen that with triodes we can at best reach compromises, mediating between gain and input capacity, therefore the only devices able to satisfy all the needs are pentodes. But pentodes are noisy, they don’t stand out for their linearity and they have such a high internal resistance that the process of the circuit is affected; therefore they don’t represent an ideal choice.
The ideal choice should satisfy any possible aspect, both technical and imaginative.
With regards to the latest point, I think that the most radical amateurs would probably go for direct heating triodes; but although such attraction is understandable from the Pindaric point of view, it would be technically unsatisfactory in a phono preamplifier. Direct heating triodes have a reduced gain and low transconductance, which involves a higher number of active stages, makes the background noise reduction critical and the control of microphonicity a problem.
In order not to give up on the charm of triodes it is convenient to choose among those that have the mentioned technical requirements; in order to satisfy the imaginative aspect it will be sufficient to observe the qualitative differences between the most prestigious new old stock triodes and those used both in high rank commercial devices and in expensive craftsman made ones. How many of these devices use Western Electric and Telefunken? How many have triodes with the ultrafine grid, with resonance into hypersharp? Two questions are enough to be left with none...it’s a shame, because there would be still lots of questions of this kind (transconductance and gain of triodes, number of active stages, RIAA of LCR type, condensers on the signal, etc...).

• The choice to use the best signal triodes of all times re-proposes the delicate question regarding the reduction of input capacity to a value less than 50pF. This demonstrates that in order to obtain what we need it is not enough to assemble the most expensive or prestigious components.
An extremely reduced capacity input allows any step-up transformer, even the most committing, to perform at its best, allowing an optimal interfacing with any MC cartridges, thanks to the possibility of loading the secondary of the step-up at leisure, without starting equalizations, resonances and phase shift! This is the only context able to offer the best possible welcome to the prestigious MC cartridges with air wound coils. These cartridges, as expensive as difficult, basically make the use of a step-up transformer necessary (to the point that Kondo made this as a necessary requirement for his needles), followed by a low-noise and reduced capacity input.
There is a technically efficient alternative for interfacing MC needles, viz. current amplification used by Dynavector and others. It is a method that integrates the needle to a counter-reaction loop, solving problems of impedance and noise, making it possible to implement the circuit with operational methods; therefore the system is twice brilliant, both from the technical and commercial (highest performance with lowest expense) points of view. Unfortunately the circuit with in-out counter-reaction loop inevitably involves inconsistent modifications to the flow of the signal, transforming the situation in non-invariant. It doesn’t matter much that the listening is satisfactory (after all the CD’s result is as well); the fact remains that such situation introduces artifices and therefore it goes beyond absolute purity.
Therefore the Kondo requirements are preferable, even if this involves some difficulties, such as the reduction of input capacity, which obviously must be found in a high gain context, otherwise the maneuver would be like moving a short cover from one side to another.
The only way to come to a solution is to appeal to the Cascode in its classical version without any counter-reaction. The Cascode makes the valves work in pure single-ended and allows to obtain exactly what is needed: reduced input capacity and high gain with little noise.

• But is it sufficient to say Cascode to solve everything?
No, it is not enough...and it’s another demonstration that it is not enough to buy the most expensive and well known materials and then connect them using a diagram found God knows where.

Le rivelatrici indagini in tema d’interfacciamento fin qui svolte, permettono ora di riepilogare per punti gli aspetti salienti e definire le esigenze progettuali relative all’ingresso del preamplificatore phono.

- Parte 2 -

A seguito di quanto espresso nella ‘Parte 1’, diventa semplice elencare le esigenze relative al primo stadio attivo di un preamplificatore phono votato alla qualità assoluta.

• Come già detto: “tra le caratteristiche maggiormente auspicabili nel primo stadio attivo di un preamplificatore phono, vi sono l’alta transconduttanza e l’alto guadagno”.
Si tratta di caratteristiche tecniche notoriamente necessarie a limitare il rumore di fondo e, aggiungo io, contestualmente utili per conservare velocità ed articolazione nella riproduzione dei segnali musicali; utili quindi per preservare quella magia chiamata… senso del ritmo.

• Utilizzare dispositivi con alti valori di guadagno e transconduttanza, rende critica la ricerca di coppie in grado di swingare in maniera dinamicamente identica. Nel caso si utilizzino circuiti push-pull, raddoppia il numero di dispositivi identici necessari e pertanto raddoppiano anche le difficoltà di selezione. Ma ulteriori e più perniciosi problemi sono associati alla topologia push-pull e al trasformatore abbinato. La stessa modalità operativa che nel push-pull riduce la distorsione di ordine pari, può introdurre incongruenze sul segnale in conseguenza del comportamento dinamico non identico dei due dispositivi attivi. Inoltre quando il push-pull è caricato tramite induttore o trasformatore, inevitabilmente si creano incongruenze sul segnale per effetto del ciclo di histeresy e un ulteriore rischio è l’instaurarsi di magnetizzazione residua permanente, con relative conseguenze.
I problemi appena descritti sono poco significativi in un amplificatore push-pull, per una questione di proporzioni rispetto al segnale da trattare, ma in un pre phono anche le inezie diventano importanti, ed occorre necessariamente tenerne conto.
Sicuramente se ne tiene conto nei preamplificatori phono push-pull di una certa levatura, specie quando si tratta di oggetti artigianali d’alta scuola, come gli Audio Tekne di Imai, nei quali la selezione delle valvole è certamente del massimo livello. Ma poi non è detto che il consumo delle stesse avvenga in maniera identica e restano comunque le questioni legate ai trasformatori, quindi in definitiva permangono delle perplessità e ritengo che questo costituisca un punto cruciale.
Il solo sapere che nei pre phono la topologia push-pull espone il segnale a possibili modificazioni di tipo non-invariante, origina un preconcetto tale, da renderla incompatibile con una filosofia progettuale volta all’ideale, anche perché in ogni caso sarà più arduo ottenere e mantenere un comportamento dinamico identico dai due canali.
Il single-ended invece opera con modalità coerente e invariante, ha quindi le connotazioni essenziali alla conservazione del patrimonio genetico originale, risultando fra tutte la topologia a più alto grado di verosimiglianza nel trattamento del segnale musicale.
Oltretutto nei pre phono lo swing del segnale da trattare è talmente piccolo, che anche la distorsione di uno stadio single-ended, oltre ad essere notoriamente benigna, risulterà ridottissima, al punto che diventa lecito affermare… se non si usa la topologia single-ended in un pre phono, allora non la si dovrebbe usare mai.

• Riepilogando… nel primo stadio occorre alto guadagno, alta transconduttanza, la topologia deve essere single-ended senza alcuna controreazione e la capacità d’ingresso non deve superare i 50pF.
L’ultimo punto esclude la possibilità di utilizzare i JFET, mentre si è visto che con i triodi si possono al più raggiungere dei compromessi, mediando tra guadagno e capacità d’ingresso, perciò gli unici dispositivi in grado di rispettare tutte le esigenze sono i pentodi. Però i pentodi sono rumorosi, non brillano per linearità e hanno una resistenza interna così elevata, da ripercuotersi sullo svolgimento circuitale, quindi non rappresentano una scelta ideale.
La scelta ideale dovrebbe soddisfare ogni possibile aspetto, sia tecnico, che immaginifico.
Riguardo a quest’ultimo punto, credo che gli appassionati più radicali si orienterebbero magari ai triodi a riscaldamento diretto, ma una simile attrazione, per quanto comprensibile dal punto di vista pindarico, in un preamplificatore phono sarebbe tecnicamente poco soddisfacente. I triodi a riscaldamento diretto hanno ridotto guadagno e scarsa transconduttanza, il che comporta un maggior numero di stadi attivi, rende critico il contenimento del rumore di fondo e problematico il contenimento della microfonicità.
Per non rinuciare al fascino dei triodi conviene scegliere tra quelli che hanno i requisiti tecnici già citati e per alimentare il lato immaginifico sarà sufficiente soffermarsi sulle differenze qualitative che intercorrono tra i triodi new old stock più pregiati e i triodi utilizzati sia negli apparecchi commerciali d’alto bordo, che in quelli artigianali dal costo estremo. Quanti di questi apparecchi utilizzano Western Electric e Telefunken? Quanti hanno triodi dalla griglia ultrafine, con risonanza nell’iperacuto? Bastano due domande e non ne rimane nessuno… peccato, perché di domande sullo stesso tenore ce ne sarebbero ancora parecchie (transconduttanza e guadagno dei triodi, numero degli stadi attivi, RIAA di tipo LCR, condensatori sul segnale, ecc… ecc).

• La scelta di utilizzare i migliori triodi di segnale di tutti i tempi, ripropone la delicata questione riguardante il contenimento della capacità d’ingresso ad un valore inferiore ai 50pF. Questo dimostra che non basta assiemare la componentistica più blasonata, o più costosa, per ottenere quel che serve.
Un ingresso a ridottissima capacità permette di far lavorare al meglio qualsiasi trasformatore step-up, anche i più impegnativi, consentendo di riflesso un interfacciamento ottimizzato con qualsiasi testina MC, in virtù della possibilità di caricare a piacimento il secondario dello step-up, senza innescare equalizzazioni, risonanze e sfasamenti! Un contesto del genere è l’unico in grado di offrire la migliore accoglienza possibile, alle blasonate testine MC con bobine avvolte in aria. Queste testine, tanto costose quanto ostiche, praticamente rendono inevitabile l’utilizzo di un trasformatore step-up (al punto che Kondo ne fece una prescrizione fissa per le sue testine), seguito da un ingresso a basso rumore e ridotta capacità.
Esiste un’alternativa tecnicamente efficace per interfacciare le testine MC, ed è l’amplificazione in corrente, adottata da Dynavector e vari altri. Si tratta di un metodo che integra la testina ad un loop di controreazione, risolvendo problemi d’impedenza e rumore, e rendendo possibile implementare il circuito anche con operazionali; quindi il sistema è doppiamente brillante, sia dal punto di vista tecnico, che commerciale (massima resa con minima spesa). Purtroppo un circuito con loop di controreazione in-out comporta ineluttabilmente modificazioni incongruenti al flusso del segnale, trasformando la situazione in non-invariante. Poco importa che all’ascolto il risultato sia soddisfacente (del resto lo è anche quello dei CD), resta il fatto che una situazione del genere introduce degli artifizi e pertanto esula dalla purezza assoluta.
Risultano quindi preferibili le prescrizioni alla Kondo, anche se ciò comporta diverse difficoltà, tra cui la riduzione della capacità d’ingresso, che ovviamente va ricercata in un contesto ad alto guadagno, altrimenti la manovra equivarrebbe a spostare una coperta corta da una parte o dall’altra.
L’unico modo per venirne a capo è far ricorso al Cascode, in versione classica e senza alcuna controreazione. Il Cascode fa lavorare le valvole in single-ended puro e permette di ottenere esattamente quello che serve: ridotta capacità d’ingresso ed alto guadagno con poco rumore.

• Ma è sufficiente dire “Cascode” per risolvere tutto?
No, non è sufficiente… ed è un’ulteriore dimostrazione di come non basti acquistare i materiali più costosi e rinomati, per poi collegarli secondo lo schema trovato chissà dove.

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 7:57 pm, modificato 2 volte
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Lun Nov 30, 2009 1:28 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

The list of designers that used the Cascode circuit includes practically all of the known ones; just as long is the list of the renowned audio devices where they have been used.
The main reasons that justify such a wide diffusion of the Cascode, especially in phono preamplifiers, are high gain with low Miller effect and reduced noise.
There are some patented variations of the Cascode circuit, such as the one in two stages with in-out feedback loop by William Johnson, or the hybrid one with JFET by David Berning, besides those by Audio Research including several variations in one solution.

For reasons of purity in this context we are not interested in the versions of Cascode that use global counter-reaction, therefore many famous examples were excluded, such as the Audio Research phono preamp, although technically very interesting.
However, there are other applications of the Cascode which are just as famous and among them there is the hybrid application by Allen Wright, which deserves an evaluation to understand what the potential of the hybrid variation with JFET is, with the purpose of obtaining reference parameters.

The diagram taken into consideration is the following: http://www.vacuumstate.com/images_upload/gross/fvp5a_s.gif

L’elenco dei progettisti che hanno utilizzato il circuito Cascode comprende praticamente tutti quelli noti e altrettanto fitto è l’elenco degli apparecchi audio blasonati che lo hanno impiegato.
I principali motivi che giustificano una diffusione tanto ampia del Cascode, specie nei preamplificatori phono, sono l’alto guadagno con effetto Miller molto contenuto e la ridotta rumorosità.
Del circuito Cascode esistono alcune varianti brevettate, come quella in due stadi con loop di feedback in-out di William Johnson, o quella ibrida con JFET di David Berning, oltre a quelle di Audio Research comprendenti più varianti in unica soluzione.

Per questioni di purezza non interessano in questo contesto le versioni del Cascode che utilizzano controreazione globale, perciò restano esclusi numerosi illustri esempi, tra cui i pre phono Audio Research, quantunque tecnicamente molto interessanti.
Ci sono comunque altre applicazioni del Cascode altrettanto note e fra queste quella ibrida di Allen Wright, che merita una valutazione per comprendere quali sono le potenzialità della variante ibrida con JFET, allo scopo di ricavarne dei parametri di riferimento.

Lo schema considerato è il seguente: http://www.vacuumstate.com/images_upload/gross/fvp5a_s.gif

The evaluations regard both the version with 2SK170 and that with 2SK369.
The preliminaries to the simulation have been more industrious than usual, since the behavior of the models of active devices available on the web was not consistent with the real one. In particular for the triode 6922 I changed three different versions, before resigning to standardize it myself; for the JFETs as well I suggest the use of models available only if you have direct experience.
(For each of the two versions of JFETs four series exist: Y, GR, BL and V...besides, depending on the lot, parameters can vary. Therefore it is best to found the simulation on models of the BL series – despite my preference for the V series -, verifying that the model themselves are structured with values – vto, beta, etc. – consistent with what is obtainable from the specimens commonly marketed.)

As usual the output load, made of the first part of the split RIAA, has been exemplified only to the value of the series resistance, which in this case is worth 232000 Ohm! This last value is quite high, not in line with the concept of simplified and flowing process, especially considering that in the Allen Wright’s preamplifier the second part of the RIAA follows, with 32400 more Ohm in series to the signal...good luck!

The reason for a RIAA with such high series resistance is not to be attributed to the preferences of the designer, but to the technical bonds forced by the high output impedance of the Cascode circuit, a little less than 25Kohm.
This is a first aspect to keep in consideration in the formulation of our Cascode, which will have to have output impedance circa 40 times lower.

Le valutazioni riguardano sia la versione con 2SK170, sia quella con 2SK369.
I preliminari alla simulazione sono stati più laboriosi del solito, in quanto il comportamento dei modelli dei dispositivi attivi disponibili nel WEB non risultava conforme al reale. In particolare per il triodo 6922 ho cambiato 3 versioni, prima di rassegnarmi a modellizzarlo in proprio e anche per i JFET consiglio di utilizzare i modelli disponibili solo se si ha esperienza diretta.
(Per ognuna delle due versioni di JFET esistono quattro serie: Y, GR, BL e V… oltre al fatto che, a seconda del lotto, i parametri possono variare anche di molto. Perciò conviene basare la simulazione su modelli della serie BL - nonostante la mia predilezione per la serie V - , verificando che i modelli stessi siano strutturati con valori - vto, beta, ecc - conformi con quanto ottenibile dagli esemplari reali normalmente commercializzati)

Come di consueto il carico in uscita, costituito dalla prima parte della split RIAA, è stato esemplificato al solo valore della resistenza serie, che in questo caso vale 232000 Ohm! Un valore quest’ultimo piuttosto alto, non in linea col concetto di percorso semplificato e scorrevole, specie considerando che nel pre di Allen Wright segue poi la seconda parte della RIAA, con altri 32400 Ohm in serie al segnale… auguri!

Il motivo di una RIAA con resistenza serie tanto alta non è da ricondursi alle preferenze del progettista, ma all’imposizione tecnica dettata dall’alta impedenza d’uscita del circuito Cascode, pari a poco meno di 25Kohm.
Questo è un primo aspetto da tenere in considerazione nella formulazione del nostro Cascode, che dovrà invece avere un’impedenza d’uscita circa 40 volte più bassa.

The diagram in the image above shows the values of the gain in the various points of the two circuits taken into consideration.

The Cascode with the 2SK170 gains 265, whilst that with the 2SK369 gains 570.
These values are not particularly high in absolute terms, especially considering the presence of the JFETs, but we must think that for both circuits there is a local counter-reaction, due to the non by-passed source resistances, which in actual fact limits the gain of the JFETs.
This limitation helps reducing the value of the input capacity, which for the Cascode with 2SK170 is worth 108pF, whilst for the version with the 2SK369 is worth 325pF.

Unfortunately, the problem of very high output impedance that we have met previously is accompanied by the input capacity which, even in the best instance of 108pF, is excessive compared to the desired 50pF top.

This demonstrates that ‘it is not enough to say “Cascode”, not even by making the most of hybridization.

Il grafico nell’immagine riportata sopra illustra i valori del guadagno nei vari punti dei due circuiti considerati.

Il Cascode con il 2SK170 guadagna 265, mentre quello con il 2SK369 guadagna 570.
Si tratta di valori non particolarmente pronunciati in assoluto, specie considerando la presenza dei JFET, occorre però considerare che per entrambe i circuiti è presente una controreazione locale, dovuta alle resistenze di source non bypassate, che di fatto limita il guadagno dei JFET.
La limitazione aiuta a contenere il valore della capacità d’ingresso, che per il Cascode con 2SK170 vale 108pF, mentre per la versione con il 2SK369 vale 325pF.

Purtroppo, al problema dell’impedenza d’uscita troppo alta riscontrato in precedenza, si aggiunge quello della capacità d’ingresso, che, anche nel caso migliore di 108pF, è comunque eccessiva rispetto ai 50pF massimi desiderati.

Questo dimostra che “non basta dire Cascode” e non basta nemmeno sfruttando l’ibridazione.

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 7:59 pm, modificato 1 volta
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Gio Dic 03, 2009 7:54 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

The RIAA LCR de-emphasis introduced by the mythical Western Electric was at some point taken and passed on by Tango with its well known 600 Ohm modules; now, with the intention of perpetuating a superior quality standard, we will show a series of possible variations and useful suggestions in order to get the most from these modules.

The upgrades will be mostly referred to the EQ-2L module, since it favors any kind of variation.

The first variation follows the considerations concerning the RIAA standard and the so-called 4th pole, which we dealt with at pages 9 and 10 of the thread.
In order to implement the LCR network introducing the 4th pole at 50 KHz, I integrated the previously used formula with the part regarding 3.18 microseconds

La deenfasi RIAA di tipo LCR introdotta dalla mitica Western Electric, fu a suo tempo ripresa e tramandata dalla Tango con i suoi noti moduli a 600 Ohm; ora, con l’intento di perpetuare uno standard qualitativo di ordine superiore, illustreremo in più riprese una serie di possibili varianti e utili suggerimenti, per ottenere il massimo da questi moduli.

Gli upgrade saranno perlopiù riferiti al modulo EQ-2L, in quanto favorisce ogni genere di variante.

La prima variante dà seguito alle considerazioni riguardanti lo standard RIAA e il cosiddetto 4° polo, affrontate a pagine 9 e 10 del thread.
Per elaborare la rete LCR introducendo il 4° polo a 50KHz, ho aggiunto alla formula utilizzata in precedenza, la parte inerente i 3,18 microsecondi.

The result is an exclusive preview and it shows how the simple modification of the R2 group and the C2 condenser leads to the desired frequency response, with tolerances within 0.013dB and 0.053°!

I enclose the file so that you can perform the simulation: http://ansaht.com/uv638jed4/t14/TangoEQ-2L_Std+3.18_2.asc

Il risultato è un’anteprima esclusiva e mostra come con la semplice modifica del gruppo R2 e del condensatore C2, si pervenga alla risposta in frequenza voluta, con tolleranze contenute in 0,013dB e 0,053° !

Allego il file per eseguire in proprio la simulazione: http://ansaht.com/uv638jed4/t14/TangoEQ-2L_Std+3.18_2.asc

In order to fully appreciate the behavior of the modification, let’s apply the standard RIAA formula to the modified LCR network.
In the following diagram you can see the new trend with the introduction of the 4th pole.
As well as the desired increase of 3dB at 50 KHz, we have a variation of more than 0.65dB at 20 KHz, accompanied by the relevant phase rotation.

The possibility to supply the intervention of the LCR network with the variation introduced from the 4th pole is certainly an advantage; nevertheless I am not keen on the fixed adoption and I am in favor of an optional intervention.

Per apprezzare appieno il comportamento della modifica, sottoponiamo la rete LCR modificata, alla formula della RIAA standard.
Nel grafico seguente è visibile il nuovo andamento con l’introduzione del 4° polo.
Oltre al voluto incremento di 3dB a 50KHz, abbiamo una variazione di oltre 0,65dB a 20KHz, accompagnata dalla relativa rotazione di fase.

Poter corredare l’intervento della rete LCR con la variazione introdotta dal 4° polo, è certamente un vantaggio, nondimeno resto contrario all’adozione fissa, in favore di un intervento opzionabile.

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 8:01 pm, modificato 2 volte
ANSA
Site Admin

MessaggioInviato: Dom Dic 06, 2009 3:51 pm    Oggetto: Rispondi citando

The simulation of the Allen Wright Cascode gave us a series of parameters that are useful references.

Staying in line with the reference, the diagram of the new Cascode initially keeps the same value of anodic resistance, viz. 25Kohm and the same output charge, 232 Kohm, whilst the rest is characterized by extreme purity, without hybridizations and counter reactions, as shown in the following diagram.

La simulazione del Cascode Allen Wright ha fornito una serie di parametri utili come metro di riferimento.

Per restare in linea col riferimento, il disegno del nuovo Cascode mantiene inizialmente lo stesso valore di resistenza anodica, 25KOhm, e lo stesso carico in uscita, 232KOhm, mentre il resto è all’insegna della massima purezza, senza ibridazioni e senza controreazioni, come da schema seguente.

The diagram shows that the Cascode has an orthodox circuit development; its secret is in the materials used and in the setting given (we will analyze its strategy later on).

In the following diagram it is visible how much the two valves gain; in particular we can see that the gain in output is more than 1,100, which is double the gain of the Allen Wright Cascode in its most performing version.

Lo schema evidenzia che il Cascode ha uno sviluppo circuitale del tutto ortodosso, il suo segreto risiede quindi nei materiali utilizzati e nell’assetto conferitogli (la cui strategia sarà sviscerata in seguito).

Nel grafico seguente è visibile quanto guadagnano le due valvole, in particolare si può vedere che il guadagno in uscita è oltre 1100, cioè il doppio di quanto guadagna il Cascode di Allen Wright nella versione più performante.

With such a gain we might wonder if our Cascode has problems of acceptance or saturation, or that it might distort more than the Allen Wright Cascode.

Con un guadagno del genere può venire il dubbio che il nostro Cascode abbia problemi di accettazione o di saturazione, o comunque che possa distorcere molto di più rispetto al Cascode di Allen Wright.

First of all we must specify that the important acceptance value refers to the Class A1, since the particular setting chosen for the Cascode in question is so good that it allows it to manage excursions in A2 (we will see later on why this is possible). As far as Class A1 is concerned, we find a limit of 88mVp to the input for 98Vp at the output, with a total distortion equal to 0.68%.

The simulator shows that the critical point of the Allen Wright Cascode is precisely the distortion value, since in order to remain within the limits of 0.68% as said above, we need the input signal not to go beyond 21mVp.

This means that the particular implementation studied for the new Cascode involves a higher purity of the triodes, obtaining a double gain and four-fold acceptance!

Alguien entiende lo que habla?

Innanzitutto occorre precisare che il valore di accettazione che interessa è riferito alla Classe A1, in quanto il particolare assetto scelto per il Cascode in questione, è così valido, che gli consente di gestire escursioni in A2 (vedremo poi in virtù di quali doti ciò è possibile). Limitatamente alla Classe A1 si riscontra un limite di 88mVp all’ingresso per 98Vp!! all’uscita, con una distorsione totale pari a 0,68%.

Il simulatore mostra che è proprio il valore di distorsione il punto critico del Cascode di Allen Wright, in quanto per restare entro lo 0,68% summenzionato, occorre che il segnale d’ingresso non superi i 21mVp.

Questo significa che la particolare implementazione studiata per il nuovo Cascode, mette in campo la maggior purezza dei triodi, ottenendo guadagno complessivo doppio e accettazione quattro volte superiore!

Alguien entiende lo que habla?

L'ultima modifica di ANSA il Dom Nov 14, 2010 8:04 pm, modificato 2 volte
Mostra prima i messaggi di:   
Nuovo argomento   Rispondi    Indice del forum -> vorrei svegliarmi un giorno e ritrovare tutte le cose in cui credevo Tutti i fusi orari sono GMT + 2 ore
Vai a Precedente  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Successivo
Pagina 12 di 14

Vai a: